Popular on s4story
- Clearwater Living Completes Acquisition of Welbrook Senior Living South Bay an Assisted Living & Memory Care Community
- Notice Of Legal Action Against Certain Top Executives Of Sunpower Business Group Ltd
- "The Biddeford Spies" - History Takes a Different Spin in World War II Thriller
- Synced Released 2018 Fortune Global 500 Public Company Artificial Intelligence Adaptivity Report
- Sacred Art at Marygrove College Art Gallery
- Book Author Gives Gilgamesh an Epic Spin
- Ripple's XRP has officially launched on P2P Crypto Exchange, LocalCoinSwap
- HSMAI to Recognize Ronald Castro as "Top 25" at the Adrian Awards Gala
- Canadian Actor Deb McGrath Lends Voice to Transgender Issues
- JustCall launches SMS Bots for Businesses to automate customer support
In our first blog, we focused on the way small cruise lines are capitalizing on the exponential demand for transformational and expedition cruising to capture the mindshare and pockets of a new set of travellers. Now, it appears that large cruise companies are facing another challenge far closer to home - consolidation. For some time, acquisition has been a fact of life. Royal Caribbean Cruises acquiring two-thirds of Silversea and American-British Carnival Corporation's operation of ten separate cruise lines under different brands are just two examples of the trend. On the upside, merging forces gives these floating giants formidable clout in terms of increased buying power and resources plus a greater choice of brands and services for passengers. On the downside, change is rarely painless and integrating different organizations including people, assets, corporate identities, systems and cultures – can cause a major headache!
Addressing the critical pain points
It pays to acknowledge the critical pain points. During periods of consolidation, these three are most likely to lead to sleepless nights:
People – at first glance, it might appear that size really does matter and that having a much larger number of crew and wider talent pool can only be a good thing. However, with cost efficiencies and labour costs typically high on the list of priorities post acquisition, how do you use your combined workforce, including third-party employees such as concessionaires, effectively? How do you apply the cream of the crop across all brands to maximise the quality of service on board?
More on s4story
- Massive Networks Expands its Infrastructure Offering to include 5G Broadband Access Networking
- Non Emergency Medical Transportation Accreditation Commission Welcomes New Advisory Board Members
- Jason Crabb and Jay DeMarcus React To Grammy Nomination
- Blockbuster new book about Mary Tyler Moore coming in January 2019
- Zettler's AZSR165 in a Hybrid-Solar-Inverter System with Scalable Battery Storage
- First Book of 'Middle Manager Fundamentals' Series By Anthony Dance Now Available in eBook Format
- HARTING Plug And Play Industrial IoT Suite Monitors Machine Status
Resources - staffing requirements need to be combined with physical assets, such as the cruise ships themselves and ensuring the equipment on them meets the latest diversity regulations such as facilities for less mobile passengers, as well as safety equipment for drills and emergencies.
Technology Systems – typically IT departments in cruise organizations are already stretched to the hilt with a limited headcount and an equally limited budget that necessitates a 'do more with less' culture (while also deploying IT onto the next hull in service). Adding complexity through extra systems and the increased security threats associated with data transfer across different IT infrastructures simply exacerbates the problem.
Think big to relieve the pressure
The way forward is to drive efficient workforce planning across all operations using Workforce Optimization (WFO) technology. Look for a partner who thinks big and has a proven track record in offering the following capabilities:
Integration – the latest solutions interface to the back office systems to capture real-time information that is accessible from one platform, at the click of a mouse or using a mobile device, in a totally seamless way. This encourages consistent ways of working, removes duplicated effort, reduces time and staff costs and builds trust and collaboration across multiple departments and between different parts of the organizationsA joined-up approach to doing business is critical to maintaining competitiveness especially during periods of change. The latest WFO solutions are highly flexible, leaving you free to play with the clever, strategic stuff. For example, they support multiple 'what if' scenarios for forecasting crewing demand, while advanced planning functionality enables management teams to rapidly assess and evaluate the human capital, resource and financial implications of those scenarios on the combined organization.
More on s4story
- The Alliance Partners Exceed $1 Million in Monthly Billed Revenue With Evolve IP
- Dr. Louis R. Negrete's New Book, CHICANO HOMELAND, Tells Compelling, True Story Of Struggles For Mexican-Americans In USA
- Haven Realty Capital Sells The Grove, a 256-Unit Apartment Community in Las Vegas
- CRG emPerform Wins Bronze Brandon Hall Excellence in Technology Award
- Giggles Are in Store for the Young Readers of Silly Animal Rhymes"
- New LUMI Portable Bar brightens up special events
- Eight Annual Denver International Spirits Competition Now Accepting Entries
Big Data – the beauty of today's WFO solutions is they can handle large volumes of data. They quickly capture and consolidate the information required to run a successful cruise ship. From crew profiles, their skills and availability to managing concessionaires, this data can be used to match crew against new job roles and deploy them swiftly to give passengers the first-class service they deserve. Knowing what crew, talents and resources you have is crucial to creating an efficient structure that builds on the combined strengths of the organizations involved and reduces costs. Management should have the 10,000 view, while planners and crewing admins should be able to drill down into the detail.
Finally, don't go it alone!
Managed Services - there's enough to worry about so why not make life easier for the people behind the scenes. Outsourcing your workforce deployment software to a reliable partner with the bandwidth and know-how to make technology work for you will free up your own internal IT resources to focus on the bigger picture and play to their strengths including strategic infrastructure, data and systems security and general business solutions.
A managed service model also adds certainty to budgeting requirements - a sound business case for introducing outsourcing when every dollar counts. You no longer have to recruit, train and pay for internal resources to manage your technology and regular maintenance, upgrades and other improvements are usually included as part of the managed service contract. Combine this with cloud-based technology to give increased protection against data security threats as organizations move data and merge their respective IT infrastructures.
Unification is the name of the game and this is where the latest innovation in WFO comes into its own. It can actively consolidate the three significant capabilities of workforce management - deployment, workforce compliance and business planning, within a collaborative environment to retain control during times of change.
Lower Woodend Barns Fawley Henley-on-Thames OXON
+44 1491 845553
Latest on s4story
- Coming in March from Down & Out Books: MURDER-A-GO-GO'S edited by Holly West
- BENEATH THE DISTANT STAR by Lisa Shambrook Addresses Themes of Mental Health With Realism and Hope
- AllMedx™ Names John Maillard Executive VP, Sales
- Couple That Traveled the World with Their Two-Year-Old Launches Blog with Tips for Traveling with Kids
- Pandamoon Publishing Launching EVENING IN THE YELLOW WOOD by Laura Kemp December 12th
- DoublePositive CEO Joey Liner Joins Digital Media Solutions Executive Team as Chief Revenue Officer
- Cowboy Away Earns Author Carly Kade 2nd EQUUS Film Festival Literary Award
- iPhone Eraser: ProtectStar announces new update of iShredder iOS and iShredder Mobile Enterprise
- Charleston, SC based Advertising Agency, VIP Marketing & Advertising Named as a Leading Branding Agency in the United States for 2018 by Clutch
- One Christmas Lasts Forever: Newest Book Release by Robert Gaines
- Americast Saves Christmas: Santa says, "Thanks Americast!"
- Comedy and Murder, A WhoDunit Of Comedic Proportions In The New Audiobook "A Grave Misunderstanding"
- New "Crawford The Cat's Christmas" High Definition Video
- Marktech Optoelectronics Announces Worldwide Strategic Partnership with Sensing and Photonics Industry Growth Experts Embassy Global
- WellRyde Announces Founding Corporate Sponsorship of Non Emergency Medical Transportation Accreditation Commission (NEMTAC)
- "The Adventures of Samba Rat & Friends in Sherman the Last Dragon" tells a grand tale of magic and friendship
- BDE Manufacturing Technologies Invests in Mazak INTEGREX i100 BarTac-S Machine
- Refereum Partners with MIXMARVEL on their Premier blockchain game, HyperDragons; First blockchain game to use the Refereum Growth Engine
- LeanMD Shares Weight Loss Tips to Help Keep New Year's Resolutions
- Amazing Spaces® Storage Centers believe in the importance of giving back, with more than $310,000 donated in their 20 years of business